How to Mind Map in Seven Steps
Take the time to learn how to Mind Map with these seven steps, and use the Mind Map principles to guide you.
1. Start in the centre of a blank page
- Turn the page sideways
- Your brain has more freedom to spread out in all directions
2. Use an Image or Picture for your central idea
- An Image is worth a thousand words
- It stimulates your imagination
- It is more interesting
- It keeps you focused
- It helps you concentrate
3. Use Colours throughout
- Colours are exciting to the brain
- Colours add vibrancy and life to your Mind Map
- Colours add energy to your creative thinking
4. Connect Main Branches to the central image
- Connect second and third level branches
- The brain works by association
- The brain likes to link things together
- Linking the branches creates structure
5. Make your lines curved
- Straight lines are boring
- Curved branches are attractive
6. Use One Key Word per line
- Single Key Words give your Mind Map more power and flexibility
- Each word or image creates its own associations and connections
- Each Key Word is able to spark off new ideas and thoughts
- Phrases dampen this triggering effect
7. Use Images throughout
- Each image is worth a thousand words
- 10 images will give you 10 000 words!
Get Every Issue Free!
Get Free Access to the Best Mind Mapping Tips, Tools, Techniques Resources and Opinions.
Try to memorise these seven steps. Use the Mind Map overview of the seven steps to help you remember. I hope that you've noticed the inclusion of Mind Maps in our articles. This enables you to get used to seeing things in both a linear and Mind Map format and therefore allowing your brain to adjust without any effort on your part.
You are now armed with all the knowledge to do your first Mind Map using both words and images. If you want to, you can either review the principles and steps again, or go on to the next article and use the Mind Map example to create your first Mind Map.
Learning how to Mind Map with our short, easy articles and Mind Map examples will make you a Mind Map expert in no time.
Free Download of XMind Seven Steps Mind Map
Download the Free Mind Map from Biggerplate
Return from How to Mind Map in Seven Steps to Using Mind Maps Home Page